13 May Preventing Your Dog from Contracting Lyme Disease
You can protect your pets from Lyme disease by taking measures to reduce their risk factors. Throughout the spring and summer, pets can contract tick-borne diseases such as Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Talk to your vet about preventative products and find out what services dog grooming in Baltimore MD trust to repel ticks and fleas.
What Is Lyme Disease?
Lyme disease can occur in animals and people. Symptoms in people include fatigue, fever, headache and a characteristic rash. In dogs, Lyme disease causes swollen joints, fever and decreased appetite. It can take 2-5 months for the symptoms to show up. Thankfully, antibiotics treat Lyme disease and will have your pet feeling better soon. Follow-up care is extremely important. However, prevention is the best cure.
How Do You Get Lyme Disease?
Lyme disease is not spread from animals to people. Only a tick bite can give you or your dog the disease. According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, dog owners can take the following precautions to protect their pets:
- Ask your vet what at-home pet care products help repel ticks.
- Find out whether you should vaccinate your dog to prevent Lyme disease. This may depend on where you live.
- Avoid marshes, tall grasses and heavily wooded areas.
- After walks, check yourself and your animals for ticks.
- Clear shrubbery around your home.
- Maintain your lawn.
- Take your dog to the groomer regularly for treatment with safe, tick-repelling products.
Dog Grooming Baltimore MD
At Woofs & Wags Pet Lodge, we accommodate everything from a “crew cut” for the summer, a bath and brush with styling, or coat conditioning for special events and shows. Call us today to learn more about dog grooming in Baltimore MD and for tips that can keep your pet healthy and looking their best through the hot months of summer and beyond.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.