08 May Five Unexpectedly Dangerous Foods for Your Dog
Your dog is your best friend, and you would do anything for them. This includes regular exercise, healthy food and treats, and selecting only the best dog boarding kennels. It should also include educating yourself on potentially dangerous foods for your dog.
Dangerous Foods for Dogs
Most people know to avoid giving dogs chocolate and bacon. However, there are many other types of food that can be unexpectedly dangerous for your dog.
- Xylitol: Xylitol is found in sugar-free items such as gum and sweets. Xylitol results in an insulin spike for dogs, which leads to hypoglycemia and can result in toxicosis. Signs to look out for include lethargy, vomiting, and loss of coordination. Elevated liver enzymes can cause liver failure within a few days of ingestion.
- Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to all breeds of dogs. Ingestion can lead to sudden kidney failure. In 2016, the ASPCA received 3,722 calls involving grapes or raisins. If you believe your dog has eaten raisins or grapes, take them to a vet immediately.
- Macadamia Nuts: Even a small amount of this nut can cause serious symptoms. Watch out for weakness, especially in the hind legs. Other signs include diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, tremors, and fever.
- Salty Snacks: Large amounts of sodium can result in excessive thirst and urination. Also watch out for depression, tremors, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, and elevated body temperatures. Always avoid feeding your pet chips, popcorn, and salted pretzels that are high in salt.
- Onions: Onions have a toxic principle, called N-propyl disulfide, which causes a breakdown of red blood cells and results in anemia in dogs. Avoid dropping any part of the onion (including the peel) on the kitchen floor for your dog to ingest. Watch out for lethargy, pale gums, weakness, fainting, decreased appetite, and reddish urine.
Dog Boarding Kennels in Baltimore: Woofs & Wags
Owners should know what foods to avoid feeding their dogs, which pet food brands are best, and which dog boarding kennels are the safest. Woofs & Wags is a top-choice dog boarding kennel in the Baltimore area. With over 25 years of experience, we will ensure your pet is well taken care of.