23 Jun Best Dog Breeds for Allergy Sufferers
Do you suffer from allergies but love dogs? Unfortunately, allergies can be triggered by shedding dander, saliva, and urine. However, there are hypoallergenic dog breeds that don’t shed which can be a great choice for your next pet. Plus with regular trips to your local groomer, like Woofs & Wags doggie daycare in Baltimore Maryland, you can keep allergy sensitivities at a minimum. Here are a few dog options for your family to consider.
Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds
Consider the following dogs when choosing your next pet:
- Havanese: This breed has a fluffy coat that looks thick and has a soft wave to it, but the wave actually prevents the fur from falling out all over your house and causing allergies to flare.
- Poodles: If your allergies to animals is light, consider this breed. Their curly hair is light-shedding and holds onto dander so it doesn’t get into the home. Maintain their grooming regularly.
- Shih Tzu: These smaller dogs have the same type of hair that humans have, so they are less likely to cause allergic reactions. Keep grooming and brushing these dogs regularly to minimize dander.
- Wire Fox Terrier: The dense, wavy coat on these dogs goes from their nose to their tail and limits their shedding. Any hair that needs to come out can easily be removed with regular grooming.
- Yorkshire Terrier: This dog also has human-like hair. In addition, they do not have an undercoat that sheds. Keeping them trimmed and groomed to help reduce any allergy symptoms.
While there is no such thing as dogs that are completely allergen-free, dogs that are considered hypoallergenic are labeled so because they are the least likely to cause allergic reactions. Unfortunately, people with moderate to severe allergies may not ever be comfortable, safe, or healthy around dogs. Always visit dog breeds you are interested in before making a commitment. By taking this simple first step, you can determine whether you react or not and the severity of your symptoms. Finally, even if you bring a low shedding dog home, manage your environment. For example, create dog-free spaces, reduce the number of carpets or curtains that can trap dander, clean and dust regularly, and clean your dog’s bedding at least weekly.
Doggie Daycare Baltimore Maryland
For regular grooming tips and all of your dog’s needs, contact Woofs & Wags. With 50 years combined experience in the industry our staff can assist you in your pets’ coat care.